[note - as featured in this subsequent post]
Saturday, 19 November 2016
A hitherto overlooked aspect of the Herefordshire VBCW has been the importance of the County's country houses. While roads, rivers and railways are of obvious strategic importance, the possession (or loss) of these pre-VBCW seats of political influence acts as a barometer of the various factions growing (or waning) power, as well as having a powerful effect on morale. Areas within the control of the various Landowner Protection Associations are almost always centred on their respective country houses. The Royalists and Anglicans equally value the historical position of country houses within County affairs, often using them as hospitals or headquarters. Others, controlled by the BUF, have been turned into interrogation or re-education centres.
Here is a list of all the historic "Principal Seats" in the County of Herefordshire (extracted from “Littlebury’s Directory & Gazeteer of Herefordshire 1876/77) broken down by parish and then resident:
001. Abbey Dore Court (Abbey Dore) Captain Thomas Freke Lewis, J.P., D.L.
002. Allensmore Court (Allensmore) Evan Pateshall, Esq., M.P., J.P., D.L.
003. Aramstone (Kings Caple) Robert Wyndham Smith, Esq.
004. Ashley Moor (Orleton) Joseph Rogers, Esq.
005. Athelstan Hall (Hereford) Josiah Wm. Smith, Esq., Q.C., B.C.L.
006. Baches House (Upton Bishop) Captain A.R.F. Onslow
007. Barnamore House (Withington) John Charles Aston, Esq.
008. Barton Court (Colwall) Major Thomas Griffith Peyton, J.P., D.L.
009. Beechwood (Hope Mansell) Thomas Gee, Esq.
010. Belmont (Clehonger) Francis Richard Wegg-Prosser, Esq., B.A., J.P., D.L.
011. Berrington Hall (Eye) The Right Hon. Lord Rodney.
012. Birch House (Much Birch) George Vernon Bankes, Esq.
013. Bircher Hall (Yarpole) Thomas Dunne, Esq., J.P., D.L.
014. Birchwood (Cradley) Thomas Henry Little, Esq., J.P.
015. Birchy Field (Avenbury) Henry Howorth, Esq.
016. Bishopswood House (Walford) Thomas Chivers, Esq.
017. Blairmont (Lugwardine) James Cowpar, Esq., M.D.
018. Bosbury House (Bosbury) Rev. Edward Higgins, M.A., J.P., D.L.
019. Brampton Brian (Brampton Brian) Robert William Daker Harley, Esq., J.P., D.L.
020. Brampton Brian Hall (Brampton Brian), Lieut.-General George Staunton, C.B.
021. Brampton (Great), (Madley) Rev. John Crugar Murray Aynsley, M.A., J.P.
022. Bredenbury Court, (Bredenbury) W. Henry Barneby, Esq., J.P., D.L.
023. Brimfield Hall, (Brimfield) Captain E. Salwey
024. Broadfield Court, (Bodenham) Mrs. Helms
025. Brockhampton, (Bromyard) John Habington Barneby Lutley, Esq., M.A., J.P., D.L.
026. Brockhampton House, (Brockhampton) Sir Christopher Robert Lighton, Bart., J.P.
027. Broomy Close House, (Llandinabo/Llanwarne)Rev. George Henry Bosanquet, M.A.
028. Broxwood Court, (Pembridge) Major Richard Snead Cog, J.P., D.L.
029. Bryngwyn, (Much Dewchurch) James Rankin, Esq., M.A., J.P., D.L.
030. Buckenhill House, (Bromyard) The Dowager Lady Shakerley
031. Buckland, (Docklow) Captain Edward Nicholas Heygate, R.E., J.P, D.L.
032. Burcott (The), (Holmer) Charles Croose, Esq.
033. Burghill House, (Burghill) J.C. Woodhouse, Esq:
034. Burton Court, (Eardisland) John Clowes, Esq., J.P., D.L.
035. Byletts (The), (Pembridge) John Bowles Evans, Esq., J.P., D.L.
036. Cagebrook House (Eaton Bishop) Mrs. Yorke
037. Callow Hills, (Welsh Newton) George Wichurch, Esq.
038. Canon Froome Court (Canon Froome) John Hopton, Esq., M.A., J.P., D.L.
039. Caradoc [Court], (Sellack) Elisha Caddick, Esq.
040. Castle Weir, (Lyonshall) Colonel Robert Price, M.F.H.
041. Chase (The), (Ross) (no information)
042. Cheyney Court, (Bishop’s Froome) James Moilliet, Esq., J.P.
043. Clater Park, (Bromyard) (no information)
044. Clifford Priory, (Clifford) Benjamin Haigh Allen, Esq., J.P., D.L.
045. Coddington House, (Coddington) Captain Henry Edward Vale
046. Combs House, (Combe) Edward Coates, Esq., J.P.
047. Copelands, (Holmer) Henry Jones Jenkins, Esq.
048. Corton House, (Rodd Nash & Littlehampton) Mrs. Evelyn
049. Courtfeld, (Welsh Bicknor) Colonel John Francis Vaughan, J.P., D.L.
050. Credenhill Park, (Credenhill) Francis William Herbert, Esq.
051. Croft Castle, (Croft) Rev. William Trevelyan Kevill Davies, J.P.
052. Cubberley House, (Ross) William Hutcheson Collins, Esq.
053. Cwm (The), (Llanrothall) Henry Wynn Pride, Esq.
054. Dadnor House, (Bridstow) Arthur Armitage, Esq., J.P., D.L.
055. Deanery (The), (Hereford) Hon. and Very Rev. the Dean of Hereford
056. Dineterwood, (Ewyas Harold) Edmund Thomas Husbands, Esq.
057. Donnington Hall, (Donnington) James Wickens, Esq., J.P.
058. Doward House, (Ganarew) Captain C. Wilkinson
059. Downfield House, (Lower Harpton) Miss Miles
060. Downton Castle, (Downton) Andrew Johnes Rouse Boughton Knight, Esq., B.A., J.P., D.L.
061. Dulas Court, (Dulas) Mrs. Feilden
062. Eastnor Castle, (Eastnor) The Right Hon. Earl Somers, R.A., J.P., D.L.
063. Easton Court, (Little Hereford) Edward Otto Partridge, Esq., J.P.
064. Eaton Hill, (Leominster) Thomas Burlton, Esq., J.P., F.R.C.S.
065. Elms (The), (Hereford) Charles Anthony, Esq., J.P.
066. Elton Hall, (Elton) Mrs. Salwey
067. Euroclydon, (Hope Mansell) Thomas Bennett Brain, Esq.
068. Eyton Hall, (Eyton) Richard Weaver Evans, Esq., J.P.
069. Eywood, (Titley) Lady Charlotte Bacon and Edward Bacon, Esq.
070. Fairfield, (Marstow) Arthur Annesley Hancocks, Esq.
071. Fownhope Court, (Fownhope) Thomas Lechmere, Esq., J.P.
072. Foxley, (Yazor) Rev. George Horatio Davenport, M.A., J.P.
073. Freen's Court, (Sutton St. Michael) William Henry Jones, Esq.
074. Frogmore House (Weston under Penyard)
075. Gaines, (Whitebourne) Mrs. Bagot and Colonel Bagot
076. Garnons (Mansell Gamage) Sir Henry Geers Cotterell, Bart., J.P., D.L.
077. Garnstone Castle (Weobley) Major Daniel Peploe Peploe, M.P., J.P., D.L.
078. Gayton Hall, (Upton Bishop) The Misses Lawson
079. Glewstone Court (Goodrich) Lieut.-Colonel P.A. Roberton
080. Goodrich Court (Goodrich) George Moffatt, Esq., J.P., D.L.
081. Goodrich House (Goodrich) Mrs. M. Peel
082. Graftonbury, (Grafton) Captain Robert Henry De Winton, J.P., D.L.
083. Great House (Canon Pyon) Gordon Graham, Esq.
084. Greenfield House (Rodd, Nash & Little Brampton) Mrs. Corbett
085. Grendon Court (Upton Bishop) Mrs. Chellingworth
086. Haffield (Ledbury) William Charles Henry, Esq., M.D., J.P.
087. Hagley Park (Lugwardine) Arthur Hutchinson, Esq., J.P., D.L.
088. Halesend (Cradley) G.B. Yapp, Esq.
089. Hall Court (Bishop’s Froome) Major John Michael Browne, J.P., D.L.
090. Hampton Court (Hope-under-Dinmore) John Hungerford Arkwright, Esq., M.A., J.P., D.L.
091. Hampton House (Hampton Bishop) Mrs. Weare
092. Harewood House (Harewood) Chandos Wren Hoskyns, Esq., B.A., J.P., D.L.
093. Hatfield Court (Hatfield), Howarth Ashton, Esq.
094. Hazelhurst (Walford) Miss M.B. Philips and Miss H. Cockshott
095. Heath House (Leintwardine) Charles Clarke, Esq.
096. Hennor House, Captain Charles Benjamin Stevenson, J.P.
097. Hephill (Lugwardine) Mrs. Mynors Baskerville
098. Hermitage (The) (Burghill and Tillington) William Lovejoy, Esq.
099. High House (Upper Sapey) J. Chamberlain, Esq.
100. Highwood (The) (Yarpole), Hon. Humphrey de Bohun Devereux, J.P., D.L.
101. Hill Court (Ross) Kingsmill Manley Power, Esq., J.P., D.L.
102. Hinton Court, (Hereford) Rev. William Frederick Powell, M.A.
103. Holme Lacy House (Holme Lacy) Sir Henry Edwyn Chandos Scudamore-Stanhope, Bart., B.A., J.P., D.L.
104. Holmer Park, (Holmer) Captain John Alexander Forbes Suter
105. Homend (Stretton Grandison) [no registered occupant]
106. Homme House (Much Marcle) Lieut.-Colonel John Ernle Money-Kyrle, J.P., D.L.
107. Hope End, Charles Archibald Hewitt, Esq., J.P., D.L.
108. Huntington Court (Holmer) John Lloyd, Esq., J.P.
109. Huntington Court (Huntington)
110. Huntington Park (Huntington) Henry Romilly, Esq.
111. Kentchurch Court (Kentchurch) Edward Scudamore Lucas, Esq., J.P., D.L.
112. King's Pyon House, (King’s Pyon) Rev. Hanmer William Webb-Peploe, B.A.
113. Kinnersley Castle (Kinnersley) Thomas Reavely, Esq., J.P., D.L.
114. Kinsham Court (Upper Kinsham) R. Ramsay, Esq.
115. Knill Court (Knill) Lieut.-Colonel Dallas
116. Kynaston House (Hentland) Edwin Charles Scobell, Esq
117. Langstone Court (Llangarren) John Jones, Esq., M.D.; J.P.
118. The Laurels (Holmer), Daniel G. Secretan James Woodhouse, Esq.
119. Leintwardine House (Leintwardine), Mrs. Colvin
120. Lemore (Eardisley), Major-General John Coke, C.B., J.P., D.L.
121. Letton Court (Letton), Rev. Henry Blisset, M.A., J.P., and John Freeman Blisset, Esq., J.P., D.L.
123. Lewson (Whitchurch), William Brown, Esq.
124. Lincoln Hill House (Ross), Miss Beeston
125. Litley Court (Hereford [Tupsley]), James Jay, Esq., J.P.
126. Llancillo Hall (Llancillo), James Gilbert Price, Esq.
127. Longworth (Lugwardine, Edward Smalley Hutchinson, Esq., J.P., D.L.
128. Lower Eaton (Eaton Bishop), Joseph Pulley, Esq., J.P., D.L.
129. Lower Weston (Weston-Under-Penyard), Major-General Stubbs
130. Lower Weston House (Weston-Under-Penyard), Henry Minett, Esq.
131. Ludford Park (Ludford), James Lechmere Merrick Parkinson, Esq., J.P.
132. Lugwardine Court, (Lugwardine) Sir Herbert George Denman Croft, Bart., M.A., J.P., D.L.
133. Lynch, The (Eardisland), John Harding, Esq. [High Sheriff], J.P., D.L.
134. Lynhales, (Lyonshall) Stephen Robinson, Esq., J.P., D.L.
135. Lyston Court (Llanwarne) The Right Hon. Viscount Harberton, J.P.
136. Mainstone Court, (Pixley) Miss M. Pyndar
137. Manor House, (Bullinghope) Right Rev. Thomas Joseph Brown, D.D.
138. Manor House, (Upton Bishop) Captain E. Mynde Allen
139. Marden Court, (enter) Edward Hodges, Esq.
140. Marlow Lodge, (Leintwardine) Joseph Beddard Green, Esq., and George Smythies, Esq., J.P.
141. Michaelchurch Court, (Michaelchurch Eskley) Charles Guy Trafford, Esq., J.P- D.L.
[note - as featured in this subsequent post]
[note - as featured in this subsequent post]
142. Middlewood (Clifford) Colonel Balmain
143. Moccas Court (Moccas) Rev. Sir George Henry Cornewall, Bart., M.A., J.P., D.L,
144. Moor Abbey (Middleton on the Hill) John George and Thomas Edmunds, Esqs.
145. Moorcourt (Pembridge) Rev. James Davies, M.A., J.P.
146. Moor Park (Richards Castle) Major Jonas Foster
147. Moor (The) (Richards Castle) Alfred Salwey, Esq., J.P.
148. Moor (The) (Clifford) Thomas James Stallard-Penoyre, Esq., J.P.
149. Moraston House (Bridstow) George H. Hadfield, Esq.
150. Moreton Court (Moreton-on-Lugg) Mrs. Harriett Evans
151. Mount Craig (Goodrich) Edmund Jones, Esq., M.D., J.P.
152. Munderfield Harold (Bromyard) Hon. Beauchamp Mowbray St. John, J.P.
153. Munstone House (Holmer) Captain Thomas William James Downes, J.P.
154. Mynde Park (Much Dewchurch) Mrs. Hudson Lutwyche
155. Newcourt (Lugwardine) Edward Griffiths, Esq., J.P., D.L.& Captain Richard John Griffiths, J.P. D.L.
156. New House, (Ledbury) Mrs. Biddulph and Michael Biddulpb, Esq., M.P., J.P., D.L.
157. Newport House,(Almeley) William Taylor, Esq.
158. Newton, (Kinnersley) Colonel Bridgford, J.P.
159. New Weir (The), (Kenchester) Major John Harward Griffiths, J.P., D.L.
160. Northgate House, (St. Weonard’s) Samuel Cannock, Esq.
161. Oaklands, (Docklow) Robert Henry John Heygate, Esq.
162. Ode Court, (Ocle-Pychard) Lieut.-Colonel Thomas Heywood, J.P., D.L.
163. Old Colwall, (Colwall) William Edmund East, Esq.
164. Old Hill (The), (Ross/Walford) Captain Martin Budd Lewin
165. Orleton Court, (Orleton) Mrs. Hill
166. Over Court, (Sutton St. Michael) Stephen Pitt, Esq.
167. Over Ross House, (Ross) Miss Baker and Miss Bernard
168. Overton House, (Richard’s Castle) Richard Betton, Esq., J.P.
169. Palace (The), (Hereford) Right Rev. the Lord Bishop of Hereford
170. Pencraig Court, (Goodrich) Rev. William Holt Beever, M.A.
171. Pengethley (Sellack) Lieut.-Colonel Thomas Powell Symonds, J.P., D.L.
172. Pennoxtone Court, (Kings Caple) Sir Edward Cludde Cockburn, Bart., M.A., J.P., D.L.
173. Perrystone House,(Foy) George Clive, Esq., M.P., J.P., D.L.
174. Perrystone Towers, (Yatton) William Gibson Ward, Esq.
175. Poulstone Court, (Kings Caple) Richard Jones, Esq.
176. Pudleston Court, (Pudlestone) Harry Chadwick, Esq.
177. Putley Court, (Putley) John Riley, Esq., J.P.
178. Ridgebourne, (Kington) Richard William Banks, Esq., J.P.
179. Ridgway House, (Cradley) John Yapp, Esq.
180. Ripplewood, (Collington) Thomas Philip Payne Wight, Esq.
181. Rocklands, (Goodrich) John Maurice Herbert, Esq., J.P.
182. Rock (The), (Lugwardine) Mrs. Mary Ann Freeman
183. Rosedale (Laysters) H.J. Bailey, Esq.
184. Rotherwas, (Dinedor) Charles de-la-Barre Bodenham, Esq., J.P., D.L.
185. Rudhall, (Ross; see also Upton Bishop & Weston-under-Penyard) Miss Julia F. Mortimer
186. Ryelands (The), (Leominster) Theophilus William Lane, Esq., M.A., J.P., D.L.
187. Saltmarshe Castle, (Bromyard) William Barneby, Esq., J.P., D.L.
188. Sarnesfield Court, (Sarnesfield) Major Worswick
189. Seedley House, (Leintwardine) George Mason, Esq.
190. Sellarsbrooke, (Ganarew/Whitchurch) Mrs. Marriott
191. Shobdon Court (Shobdon) The Rt. Hon. Lord Bateman, M.A., Lord Lt.,“Custos Rotulorum” of the County
192. Springfield, (Ross) [no information]
193 Stanage Park (Brampton Brian), Rev. John Rogers, M.A., J.P.
194. Stanton Park, (Stanton-upon-Arrow) James King King, Esq., M.A., J.P., D.L.
195. Stoke Edith Park (Stoke Edith), The Right Hon. Lady Emily Foley
196/ Stormer Hall (Leintwardine), Herbert Crawshay, Esq.
197. Street Court (Kingsland) Benjamin Lawrence Sanders, Esq., LL.B., J.P., D.L.
198. Sufton Court, (enter) Richard Hereford, Esq., J,P., D.L. & Captain Richard James Hereford, J.P., D.L.
199. Sugwas Court, (Eaton Bishop) Frederick Platt; Esq., M.F.H.
200. Sutton Court, (Sutton St Nicholas) Mrs. Bradney
201. Tedstone Court, (Tedstone Delamere) James Lane Wight, Esq., J.P.
202. The Lodge, (Richards Castle) Tbomas Charles Bridges, Esq.
203. Thing-hill, (Withington) Henry Higgins, Esq., J.P., D.L.
204. Thornbury Court, (Thornbury) John Lycett, Esq.
205. Tillington Court, (Burghill) Miss Griffiths and Henry Noel Courtney, Esq.
206. Titley Court, (Titley) Charles Williams Greenly, Esq., J.P., D.L.
207. Titley House, (Titley) Edward Howorth Greenly, Esq., J.P., D.L.
208. Treago, (St. Weonard’s) Mrs. Mynors
209. Trebandy House, (Marstow) Thomas Mountjoy Fisher, Esq.
210. Trecilla House, (Llangarren) Rev. Henry John Potts, B.A.
211 Tyberton Court, (Tyberton) Robert Henry Lee-Warner, Esq., J.P., D.L.
212 Underdown House, (Ledbury) Mrs. Murray Aynsley
213 Upper Hall, (Ledbury) John Martin, Esq., J.P.
214 Venwood, (Bodenham) Mrs Forrest and Hugh Jenner, Esq., J.P.
215 Walford House (Walford) William Allaway, Esq.
216 Westhide Court (Westhide) (no occupant registered)
217. Westonbury (Pembridge) William Child, Esq.
218. Weston Lodge (Weston-under-Penyard) Henry Forster Burmester, Esq.
219. Wharton Lodge (Weston-under-Penyard), Mrs. Nicholas
220. Whitbourne Court (Whitbourne) Richard Harington, Esq., M.A., B.C.L., J.P., &c.
221. Whitbourne Hall (Whitbourne) Edward Bickerton Evans, Esq., J.P., D.L.
222. White House (Vowchurch) Herbert Howorth Wood, Esq., M.A., J.P., D.L.
223. Whitfield (Treville) Rev. Archer Clive, M.A., JP, D.L & Major Charles Meysey Bolton Clive, JP, D.L.
224. Whitney Court (Whitney) Tomkyns Dew, Esq., J.P., D.L.
225. Whittern (The), (Lyonshall) Richard Green, Esq.
226. Wigmore Hall, (Wigmore) Major-General Charles Trigance Franklin, C.B., J.P.
227. Wilcroft (Lugwardine), Miss James
228. Wilton Castle, (Bridstow) Captain L.P. Walsh, R.A.
229. Wilton Hall (Bridstow), Price Hamilton, Esq.
230. Winforton Court (Winforton), Miss Caroline Louisa Domvile
231. Wisteston Court (Marden), Charles Watkins, Esq.
232. Woodfield House (Weston-Beggard), William Henry Yates, Esq., J.P.
233. Woodfield House, (Weston-under-Penyard) Jacob Chivers, Esq.
234. Woolhope Court, (Woolhope) Josiah Booker, Esq.
235. Wyastone Leys, (Ganarew) James Murray Bannerman, Esq.
236. Wye Cliffe House, (Breinton) Edmund James Lewis, Esq.
237. Wyelands (The), (Walford) William Partridge, Esq., B.A., J.P., D.L.
238. Wyeville, (Bridstow) Captain Richard Edward Browne
239. Wythall, (Walford) John Stratford Collins, Esq., B.A., J.P., D.L.
240. Yatton Court, (Aymestrey) John George Rodney Ward, Esq., J.P.